Biosafety Cabinet Decontamination Guidelines
- If your Biosafety Cabinet is used for BIOSAFETY LEVEL 2 agents (examples include: human blood, human cell lines, viruses), decontamination is required. If BIOSAFETY LEVEL 1 agents are used, decontamination is NOT required; instead submit an equipment clearance request (please click here.)
- Once Biosafety Cabinet Decontamination has been scheduled, lab personnel must leave laboratory by 3pm. Personnel cannont enter laboratory while decontamination is in progress.
- This is an OVERNIGHT decontamination. Decontamination should be completed by 10am the following morning.
- After decontamination, the Biosafety Cabinet SHOULD NOT be used prior to being moved or repaired.
- After the Biosafety Cabinet has been repaired or moved, cabinet MUST be re-certified before being used again. Contact EH&S at
567-2955 for further information.